Are you ready to take your gaming experience to the next level with the all-powerful PS5? If you’re a proud owner of both a PS4 controller and a brand-new PS5, we’ve got some fantastic news for you.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the simple yet essential steps on how to connect your trusty PS4 controller seamlessly to your mighty PS5. Say goodbye to any compatibility worries and get ready for uninterrupted gaming bliss. So grab that controller, and let’s dive right in!
Why you may want to connect your PS4 controller to the PS5
There are many reasons why you may want to connect your PS4 controller to the PS5. Whether it is for convenience, comfort, or simply because you prefer the design of the PS4 controller, here are some of the main advantages of using your old controller on the new console.
- Familiarity and Comfort
One of the main reasons why you may want to use your PS4 controller on the PS5 is familiarity. If you have been a long-time PlayStation user, chances are that you have spent countless hours with your trusty DualShock 4 controller in hand. Switching to a new controller can take some time getting used to and can even affect your gameplay experience.
Using your old controller on the new console will not only save you money but also ensure that you feel comfortable and at ease while playing your favourite games. This can be especially beneficial for competitive gamers who are used to their controllers’ specific button layouts and functions.
- Backward Compatibility
The PS5 boasts impressive backward compatibility with most PS4 games, meaning that you can continue playing all your favourite titles from the last generation without having to purchase them again. However, some games may not support certain features when using the new DualSense controller. By connecting your trusted DualShock 4, you can ensure that all game features and mechanics work as intended.
How to connect your PS4 controller to the PS5?
Step-by-step guide on how to connect your PS4 controller to the PS5:
- Power on your PS5 and make sure your console is updated to the latest software version.
- Turn on your PS4 controller by pressing and holding the PlayStation button for a few seconds until the light bar starts flashing.
- On your PS5, go to Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Bluetooth Devices.
- On your controller, press and hold the Share button and the PlayStation button at the same time until the light bar starts flashing rapidly.
- Your PS5 will detect the controller, and it will appear as a “Wireless Controller” in the list of available devices.
- Select “Wireless Controller” from the list and click on “Register.”
- Once registered, you will see a message confirming that the controller has been connected successfully.
- You can now use your PS4 controller to navigate through menus, play games, or control media on your PS5.
- If you encounter any issues with connectivity or response time, try connecting via USB cable instead of Bluetooth. Plug a USB cable into both devices and follow steps 3-7 again.
- To disconnect your PS4 controller from your PS5, turn off either device or go back to Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Bluetooth Devices and select “Disconnect.”
There you have it – a simple step-by-step guide for connecting your trusted old PS4 controller to your new shiny PS5! Now.
Troubleshooting common issues when connecting the controllers
One of the most common issues when trying to secure a PS controller to a PS console is with wired controllers. If you are facing difficulties in establishing a connection between your controller and console, here are some troubleshooting steps to try:
- Please make sure the cable is securely connected: This may seem like an obvious solution, but it’s always important to double-check that the cable connecting your controller to the console is securely plugged in on both ends. Sometimes, loose connections can cause connectivity problems.
- Check for any damages or frayed wires: Inspect the cable for any physical injuries or signs of wear and tear. If there are any cuts or frayed wires, it could be causing connectivity issues and may need to be replaced.
- Try using a different USB port: Depending on your console’s setup, there may be multiple USB ports available for use. If one port is not working, try plugging the controller into another port to see if that resolves the issue.
- Restart both the controller and console: Sometimes, simply restarting both devices can help establish a stable connection between them.
- Reset the controller: Most PS controllers have a small reset button located near the L2 button on the back of the controller. Use a small pin or paperclip to press and hold this button for a few seconds until you see all four lights at the top of your controller flash rapidly. Then, try reconnecting it to your console.
Benefits of using a PS4 controller on the PS5
The PlayStation 4 (PS4) and PlayStation 5 (PS5) are two of the most popular gaming consoles in the market. With the recent release of the PS5, many gamers are wondering if they can use their existing PS4 controllers on the new console.
The good news is that, yes, you can use your PS4 controller on the PS5. In fact, there are several benefits to using a PS4 controller on the PS5 that make it a great option for gamers.
- Familiarity and Comfort: One of the main benefits of using a PS4 controller on the PS5 is familiarity. If you have been using a PS4 for a while now, you are probably very comfortable with its controller and its layout. By continuing to operate your PS4 controller on the new console, you don’t have to get used to a completely different controller. You can jump right into playing your favourite games without any adjustments.
- Cost-Effective: Another benefit of using a PS4 controller on the PS5 is that it is cost-effective. The new DualSense controllers for the PS5 can be quite expensive, but by utilizing your existing PS4 controllers, you can save money and still enjoy all the features of your new console.
- Compatible with Most Games: While some games may require specific features of the DualSense controller, most games will work perfectly fine with a standard wireless or wired DualShock 4 (DS4) controller from the previous generation.
Alternatives for connecting a controller to the PS5
The PlayStation 5 is the latest and most highly anticipated gaming console from Sony, featuring stunning graphics, immersive gameplay, and a range of exciting new features. One of the key aspects of any gaming experience is having a controller that can seamlessly connect to your console.
In this section, we will discuss the various alternatives for connecting a controller to the PS5 whether you prefer traditional wired controllers or want to go wireless for maximum freedom while gaming, we’ve got you covered.
- DualSense Controller – The official controller for the PS5 is the DualSense Wireless Controller. This advanced controller boasts haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and enhanced motion-sensing technology for a more immersive gaming experience. To connect it to your PS5, turn on both devices and press the “PS” button on your controller.
- DualShock 4 Controller – If you already have a PS4 or are looking for a more affordable option, you can use your existing DualShock 4 controllers with the PS5 as well. However, keep in mind that they will only work with backwards-compatible games and not take advantage of any new features on the PS5.
- Wired USB Connection – For those who prefer traditional wired controllers over wireless ones, connect your preferred controller via its USB cable to one of the USB ports on the front or back of your PS5 console. This option works with most third-party controllers as well.